Pages

Does Kia Deserve the MVP?

It is hard to argue that LBJ … the King … LeBron James doesn't deserve the NBA's MVP award. We could consider some other players but it would be hard to say that someone else deserved it more. I was pretty impressed with the pieces of the press conference that I saw … especially where LeBron thanked his friends and family (see below).

My question is: Does Kia deserve the MVP award? This is the first time I've noticed that a corporation had part ownership of this award. Officially, it is the "Kia MVP Award" (see NBA's anouncement). In fact, I just learned that a spokesperson from Kia had a significant portion of the MVP press conference alotted to him. He apparently talked about how Kia grew into a great company, much like LeBron grew into a great player.

I don't know about Kia cars. I don't have an opinion about Kia cars. I know that they are not considered and"American" car but that doesn't really matter. What irks me is that everything that we could possibly tolerate is taken over by corporations. To what degree, I don't know. I guess they flood us with shiny objects and instructions on why we need their products and services.

US flag?

But to me, this confuses the MVP award a bit. This confuses many things a bit. What is this award all about anyway? What is the NBA all about? What are professional sports all about? Quicken Loans arena is where I go to see Cavs games. Progressive field is where the Indians play. This is all part of capitalism I suppose. Is my life based on what I buy? Are we mere consumers in a world of instructions on what to purchase?

This argument is not new and I'm sure eyes roll when this discussion starts. But the minute we as humans walk blindly through life, buying things without regard to where it comes from or how it affects the world, is the day we are no longer human. Oh wait … that day is now.

Forget it.

On a lighter note … here's Lebron! …

No comments: