Pages

Cleveland is bitter … I mean BETTER now …

Well, he got everybody talking …
I'll give him that.

He made a horrible decision for himself,  but the right decision for Cleveland.
So I'm kinda pumped about it to be honest.

I never wanted to live in Cleveland.  I never knew anything about it until I would ride down from Mercyhurst College in Erie, PA … watch bands at the Agora … get real drunk (sorry Mom) and be driven home by many good friends who put up with me.  My room mate freshman year was from Cleveland and I actually think I may have teased him about it when he said he wanted to leave school and go back to CLE.  I suppose, in a way, I thought there were better cities where I was "supposed" to go.

But now I know better.  Cleveland has a great deal to offer.  I wonder whether our self-diagnosed "hero" really knows this.  My feeling is that his decision wasn't based on any real logic.  I really can't think about how this helped him at all - but there are plenty of reasons it helped Cleveland!

When people think of Cleveland, they shouldn't picture 1 dude in a jersey … they should know that Cleveland's people and life are great and getting even better.  And we need to show them this without the banner of a single person who "saves" us!

Where was I last night during "the Decision"? … I was a Whiskey Island: A place where you can watch sailboats drift in front of a beautiful sunset in one direction and look at the Cleveland skyline in the other … while listening to a live band, or playing sand-volleyball, or just drinking a beer sitting solo by the shore. This is just one of the many gems Cleveland has that people should really appreciate.  We lost our volleyball game and LeBron left - actually an awesome evening! =)

I kind of hope Cleveland has good sports teams … but I REALLY hope people don't rely on those teams to give the city true value.  The value of the city resides in communities and activities that truly bring us together.

So take a moment and ask people around you what they value in their city and maybe you'll learn of a new place to have fun … or at least share in something other than an egomaniac whom we've encouraged to be our savior.

No comments: